Mission & Goals
EFTI was created in 1992 by tourism faculty to serve tourism destinations and industries through research in Florida. Since its establishment, the Institute has been committed to excellence in research, and has evolved to become a major institute for tourism research in Florida and beyond. The Institute facilitates interdisciplinary research projects focusing on a wide range of travel, tourism and hospitality opportunities. The Institute is dedicated to being the premier academic tourism research institute in the country with a focus on contributing to the long-term sustainability of communities in a global society. EFTI is housed within the Department of Tourism, Recreation and Sport Management at the University of Florida.
EFTI is committed to supporting the initiatives of TRSM research, learning centers in the areas of Destination Marketing and Management, Crisis Management, and International Tourism Education.
EFTI will become the leading voice for the Future of Tourism in Florida and the United States.
Goals and Objectives
EFTI aims to:
- Initiate and support EFTI Board activities focusing on fund raising for scholarships and building stronger relationships with the University of Florida;
- Initiate and support TRSM initiatives to hire new faculty and to support existing faculty;
- Develop/initiate a series of systems to collect data describing travel trends;
- Initiate EFTI White Paper series of publications focusing on the Future of Tourism;
- Support efforts to expand tourism education and training in the US and internationally; and,
- Invite leading scholars and practitioners to become partners of TRSM and the Institute.